Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thankful Tuesday...Thankful for the season of Harvest

THIS IS A TYPICAL KANSAS FIELD! The Harvest marks the end of the growing season. Always Thankful that the season provided us with such bounty. I'm just remembering all of the summers of gardening, canning, cleaning. Getting ready for the winter. I knew I was crazy when the satisfaction of seeing my counters full of freshly bottled peaches,tomatoes, apricots etc. made me feel like I had accomplished the world. I haven't bottled anything lately. Kansas has no fruit orchards that we have found anywhere. Gardens grow great. We attempted a few tomato plants in pots but we have spoiled our selves by getting our garden veggies at a farmers market. I am really missing the harvest season. Our family was discussing how hard we 'Bakers' worked when we were growing up on the 'Bakers Acre'. Dad always planted a beautiful garden. Dad and Mom would pick wheelbarrows full of peas, green beans, Corn. We would gather on the back lawn and pod the peas, snap beans or husk corn. One of my best memories is the neighborhood gang of kids came over to join the FUN! Thankfully I learned to enjoyed the canning proceedure when we had our own little family. We also had the experience with Clarks family of growing our own meat. Cow's, chicken, pigs, turkeys, etc. Those were hard, hard working days. But we had to feel blessed that every family member always enjoyed a freezer full. I rarely bought meat from the store while living in Utah. It was so great to be self sufficient. Memories of THE HARVEST make me appreciate my own parents teaching us to always be prepared and take care of ourselves. Clarks parents for teaching our family all the value of hard work on the farm. The joy of growing it all ourselves. To make the most all things in there SEASON.

1 comment:

Terrence and Laura said...

I miss that too...amazingly enough. The hot incredibly sticky mess when canning all of our millions of apples, and the taste of pickled green beans. MMM! Thanksgiving was always the time when we got it all out and shared our bounty with the family. I love the Autumn time. Can't wait for halloween this year. I think I'm going to make Kylie's costume. Wish me luck?