Sunday, June 19, 2011

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO A GREAT MAN, MY HUSBAND

I've often been very grateful for the GREAT Husband I have. I want to honor him today for the man he is and for the qualities that not to many people are aware of.
From the first day we met I knew he had some great skills, talents and abilities. He is a good, good provider. A hard worker, with his family always a priority. He started working at 12 on a dairy farm. He gave part of his income to help his family when he was a kid. Do you ever hear of any kids doing that anymore?
He is a good mechanic, a good hunter, a good friend,  he is loyal, he is patient, and he is a good Christian.  He just impressed me. Any one that knew me then, knows that from the second we met on that first blind date. I said, "this guy is for me! " 
When we were dating, the first thing I was attracted to his ambition and love for life. His dedication. His endurance and Strength. He made me feel safe and loved.
The second thing that impressed me was his willingness to give up 2 years of his life to be a missionary for our church. This was his goal and it was especially hard when we got serious. A girl complicates life as a missionary.  Seriously, I know it took strong committment.
Not only is he dedicated to everything he loves. He is fun! Oh, I better mention HE IS A BIG TEASE!
    He knows how to have a really good time, and together we shared a lot of awesome memories.
I'll never forget one of our first dates.  He took me out on Utah Lake. It was mucky, dirty, scummy water.
    I hadn't really been in a boat before but I loved water (just not this water).  He said, "jump in I'm going to teach you to water ski."  My first reaction on Ewwwww. not in this water. But I took the plunge.
From the very beginning there was just something about him that I trusted. If he said it was safe I believed him.  Being right beside me, he coached me to ski and at the first attempt, Up I went out of the water skiing to my hearts content. It was the beginning of some amazing times on many Lakes.
    We spent a lot of time in the mountains. Hunting and Fishing. It has been a big part of our life. Another big part of our life was Farming. He helped me conquer my fear with animals. Being a city girl and all. We loved the time of our life when animals were a huge part of it.
    I have often wondered if there was anything he couldn't do?  He was like a human crane. I swear, he could lift anything. I think that is why it is so hard to see him loose so much muscle. People that know him now, could have never imagined what  a strong, hard worker he has always been . He just never gives up. He worked 12-14 hours a day on the job (oh wait a minute, he still works these kind of hours!but he comes home and rests now!)
    He would often  come home and work on the farm or his second job with his family. He was constantly helping someone with anything they needed.  He is a great example of service to his family. I've just never seen anything like him. He constantly amazes. me.
     He has given me support and confidence in everything I attempted. He has taught me to try to look past the negative and find JOY!
     One thing that people don't know about Mr. Clark is he is incredibly smart (yes book smart. Especially in math) and also when it comes to the knowledge of the gospel. While driving for a career  and then driving 45 min. each way to his job,  he was never without scripture cd's. There has never been a question I've wondered that he couldn't answer.
     He has always had a 'no worry' attitude. If something goes wrong we'll get through it.
We lived a (now that we look back!) almost problem free life for the first 7 yrs , except for  the normal day to day problems. Then one year began a series of extreme challenges. Things couldn't have been worse. Our hearts broke. I remember thinking. "why us, how could this happen to us" Mr. Clark was right there with the attitude that we could grow from this experience and life would be ok. Thank goodness he is the optimist. Indeed this experience helped us get through even more challenges in the years to come.
      He is a forgiving, loving person. If you make him mad he just forgives and forgets. He has taught us all just to let hurt full things we do to each other go. His motto: "Its not worth destroying our relationships over".  He has kept our family grounded with peace amidst our trials.
      On his mission and In his working career he has been sent to areas and worked with people that have been difficult or have had circumstances where Mr. Clark has made a difference. . I can tell you I've watched miracles in the places he's worked. He has brought an attitude of unity and a stronger willingness to get along and pride in their work,  with everyone he is around.
      How can I explain in a significant way his influence? He is just a good guy. His attitude reflects in those he is around.
      When the children were small he worked a lot. Our memories consist of working along side of him especially when we were first married. I  had to be right next to any vehicle he was working on. I got to be the tool caddy for a long time. He has always been the type of Husband/Father that wants to be surrounded by his family. My home duties were often neglected. Things didn't change much when the children came along. It continued to be every spare minute right next to  Dad no matter what he was doing. I can't even tell you how many times we were all on the tractor plowing fields. or in the shop as a mechanic or on a garbage truck running the route for the family business. We spent a lot of quality time working along side of him. Many lessons learned and strong bonds as a family built.
       He is the most compassionate person, but he doesn't tolerate pity. He is a great listener, and his advice has been incredible. As I've said before,  I love when the kids, now adults call him for advice. I hear his strength he gives them. I can't imagine life without his counsel.  I know that his impact has been such a good one. I am so proud to be a part of his life. For the man he is. For the trial of health he has encountered and how courageous and positive he is about anything he deals with.
      We were filling out a survey for his kidney dialysis. It was asking him if he was depressed being on dialysis. He said, "what? what should I be depressed about. This is life, we just deal with the changes it brings"
      For his optimism, love and genuine goodness. If I ever seem courageous in our adversity. It's because of the man I've been next to for the past 30 + yrs. I am privileged to be his partner.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY, MY MAN!

2 comments:

Britt's Clan said...

This is one of the best tributes I have ever read. AWESOME!!!!

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Sharon, I hope Mr. Clark has read this . . I think it's beautiful . . true expression of love for him. Blessings, Sandy:O)