Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Thanksgiving Menu

This Thanksgiving is going to be quiet.  It is Our Childrens year to spend with the In-laws.  This year will be significant at our house. My Brother, Blair is flying in on TUESDAY. This will be the first time in, I think 17 years I've spent any Thanksgiving with any of my side of the family. The last time we were together it was in the hospital while waiting for Our Father to get out emergency second round bi-pass surgery. Think of the surgeons Thanksgiving as well...
 Our sweet Sister in Law went to Shoney's and loaded up on the Thanksgiving Buffet for us all and we ate it on the patio at the hospital. We were blessed to all be together but a difficult memory!
   This year I CAN'T WAIT TO SPEND IT WITH MY BRO! Some day I hope we can spend it with both brothers and their families.

 So just for fun I thought I'd UP.. the meal. Some new recipes and of course those 'traditional' ones.
   I want to try to make a lot ahead of time??? I don't want to spend the whole time my brother is here BAKING!
 Like: Jello Salads,Stuffing,Sweet Potatoes(bake, refridgerate and stuff and bake them the last minute?) Peel potatoes and put them on ICE in a cooler in the garage? We'll see how it goes? Any suggestions?
   

Here is my Menu Pick:
Turkey / Cranberry
Dressing
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Bacon Twist? (might serve them with breakfast with Cranberry Muffins and of coarse EGG NOG? Yes, a traditional favorite of my Father's on Thanksgiving Morn)
My Mom's traditional Lemon Jello
Trifle?
Home made Rolls
Veg? Broccoli Mix *my favorite. or Green Beans/maybe Green Bean Casserole? not a fan!
Deserts: Pecan Pie, Cherry Pie, Banana Cream Pie, Pumpkin.
Note: I may serve Pies Thanksgiving Eve and snack on left over Pies later. My Brother requested NOT to get too full! Good Luck with that one Brother! LOL


Have you noticed that every one is talking about Brining their turkey? Hmmmm So I've investigated different way's to 'Brine'. And Mr. Clark wants to deep fry the turkey? So we will see how it all happens!Turkey Ideas-You decide
Here:
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Marshmallow Streusel on the Food Network
Yummy Bacon Twists

Mom's Lemon Salad:
1 pkg. Lemon Jello
Dissolve in 2 Cups Hot Water. Cool  (Reserve 1 TBL Jello) Add 2 Banana's diced, 1 Cup Drained Crushed Pineapple, 1 Cup Miniature Marshmallows. Set in dripper(cake) pan.

Heat 1 C. Pineapple Juice. 1/2 C. Sugar, 3-1/2 tsp Flour. Add 1 Whole Egg, 1 Tbl Lemon Jello. Cool.
Whip 1/2 Cup of Cream and sweeten and add to cooled mixture.

Spread over Jello Mixture and sprinkle diced maraschino cherries and chopped nuts over top.

My Favorite Broccoli Mix:
2 Crowns of Broccoli
1 C. Chicken Broth
1/4 lb Bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces (Browned until slightly Crisp)
2. C. Fresh Mushrooms
1/2 C. Minced Green Onions with tops
1 Can sliced Water Chestnuts
1/4 C. Slivered Almonds
1 Tsp. Salt
Pimento Strips (if Desired) I like to add it because it looks so FESTIVE!

Cook Broccoli in Chicken Broth. About 8 min. Must still be slightly green. The whole recipe isn't good if it's over cooked.
Drain, reserving liquid.
Fry Bacon Add remaining ingredients *except for pimento
Just before serving, combine broccoli and 1/3 of chicken broth, cooking only until hot. Garnish with pimento.
Can be prepared through and refrigerated, covered up to 3 hours.

My Mom's Rolls

2 Yeast Cakes, dissolved in 1/2 C, Water
2 Cups Milk, Scalded
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Shortening, melted
2/3 C. Sugar
4 Eggs, beaten
7 C. Flour
Soften yeast in water, Scald mild and cool to lukewarm. In a bowl add salt, shortening, sugar and milk. Add beaten Eggs. Blend in flour to make a soft dough. Let rise until double. Roll out and cut or shape rolls as desired. Let rise (approx 40 min until double), Bake 350 degrees- 15-20 min.

SO BLESSED WITH ABUNDANCE THIS YEAR.
TO EVERYONE, GOD BLESS YOU AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


4 comments:

Deb Snyder said...

You can make mashed potatoes ahead of time. Freeze in casserole dish. Then heat in oven. If made early in morning. Put in bigger pan of hot water on low hea with lid on. Saw this on rachel ray the other day. Dressing can be refrigerated. Gravy can be made ahead.

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Ok, make a place for four more people . . . We're are coming for Thanksgiving Dinner too :O) Ha! Ha! That menu sounds so good. This year for the first time in a long time, I'll not be making dinner. We have been invited to Thanksgiving Dinner. It will be different but so nice too for a change. I'm happy to hear that you and your brother will be together Sharon. I love my one brother so much and I know how special that is. Your gratitude is amazing . . . I learn something from you all the time. I need to praise God for my blessings more than complaining about what is not right . . thank you my friend and have a beautiful Thanksgiving with your family, may the time you have with your brother be blessed. Sandy xo

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Merry Christmas kiddo! xi

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

xoxo