Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thankful Tuesday: In Sickness and in Health

A few day's a week, my day's consist of sitting in the dining room of a retirement center watching a student in a Vocational Job Experience.
You can't help but get a little involved with the Elderly.
One of my biggest fears is loosing my mind/memory.
It's hereditary!
Watching people endure day to day makes my heart break.
The first day there I held a lady's bib while she lost her lunch. (I am fortunate that it doesn't bother me)
The Lady thanked me and now we are special friends!
On the second day, I heard a lady sobbing because they left her puppy at the table. (her imaginary puppy)
On the third day, I witnessed a Husband and his Son comforting their wife/mother. The Son had his arm around in mother.
At that moment I wanted to weep. I held back from loosing it!
Tyrel and Elyse have been duking it out over who gets to take care of me when I have full blown Alzheimer's.  Terrence would put up a fight too! But the other two have been kidding about it lately! I have great children! : )
I immediately got on my phone and wrote, "I just had a fast forward moment, I don't want to get old"
Tyrel text me, "Don't worry Mom, you won't remember anything!"
Elyse text me, Mom, don't worry you are staying with me and eating Coke and Cheetos" she thinks that's what all really old people like!
We've had this conversation before. I've tried to convince them to put me in a retirement center so that I won't be a burden or say mean things. : (
Seeing it day in and day out is difficult imagining myself doing.
It's a hard place to be.
At this stage in life you have to wonder, "what is God's purpose for the aged"
It almost felt like this is a waiting room for God to call our name.
I watched this message today. It says it all.  *a note to my children WATCH THIS!
"In Sickness and in Health" 

I guess it is part of life.
I hope I have this attitude and faith!
THANKFUL to take the trials of today in sickness and in health. Tomorrow will come soon enough!

1 comment:

Em and Ms said...

Elyse's comment made me laugh, only because when Grandma Eden would stay with us for a few months each year we would have to keep her supplied with Coke, Cheetos, and Circus Peanuts. :)