Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thankful Thursday: For a Legacy of My Grandparents

It has been REMEMBER THE BAKERS Week! This is my Grandfather and my Grandmother. Although I have never met my Grandfather, I am learning that he was a man of integrity. He had a mink farm and rabbit farm. He was into cattle befor he moved to American Fork.Dad said He Never stopped skinning Minks and Rabbits selling the meat and skins to PINKERTON'S MARKET. They cleared their property. Dad also worked feverishly chopping down Chinese Elm trees and Walnut trees on their 'Bakers acre'. The hardest wood to split with an ax. Grandpa remodeled their home. He was a jack of all trades. My Grandfather was a GE appliance store owner. I heard stories of his special deliveries. The one devastating delivery... a refridgerator. He had a heart attack while delivering and died at age 52. He was a happy go lucky kind of guy. My Grandmother was an ELITE lady. She was a perfectionist. An AMAZING cook and entertainer. I have all of her crystal party sets and special crystal jam sets. I CHERISH THEM. Don't you love her apron! She had tons of aprons. And she was one of those people that ironed her sheets! Her house was always articulate. She had a special talent that is almost a lost art. SHE COULD TAT! It is like crocheting but more intricate. My mom always said that I was the most like my Grandma Mayme. I remember when woman were allowed to wear pants. Grandma threw a fit and said she would never be comfortable wearing pants. I think that must be where I got the love of wearing dresses! Which also was passed down to our daughter. She loves dresses too! Such fond memories of Grandma Baker. She lived next door. We were blessed to have her in our lives. One thing I hope that I am like her is, she was a devoted wife. A quality that I think I share. I come by it naturally! Love them both. Thankful for the legacy of AWESOME GRANDPARENTS

1 comment:

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Hi Sharon, we have alot in common, I've been told I'm just like my Grandmother, she loved lots of color, loved to sew, and cooked very slow, and when she got mad, she would start laughing, that is so me. My Grandma could tat also, I never mastered that gift. Your Grandpa, wow, sounds like an awesome person. My Grandpa passed away the year Dave and I got married in 1979, he was 75 years old. My Grandma did not speak much english, communicating was hard for her at times. She outlived my Grandpa, she was 97 years old when she passed October 2004. My Grandpa did not believe in women wearing pants, it had to be a dress. Thanks for the memories . . Have a nice evening. Sandy:O)