Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thankful Tuesday: A life full circle

This is my Great, Great Grandfather George Baker. He came to America from Wineford, Sommerset, England. Great, Great Grandpa George was among the Martin Handcart Company that ventured to Utah in the 1800's * see (Utah Pioneers and Prominent Men 1847-1868) Once he arrived Brigham Young asked him to help settle the south end of the state of Utah. My great, great Grandfather George settled in the Saint George area. One of his Son's William Benjamin was married to Elizabeth Betsy Larson and they had 5 children (one of them a Doctor in St. George. (Frank?) Elizabeth died and William Benjamin then married Fidelelia Maudesley Baker. (My Grandfathers Parents.) They had 12 children. William and some of the Maudesley family began a ranch in Pine Valley. Known as 'the Baker Ranch' and also a reservoir still known as the 'Baker' Reservoir. It was handed down to his children --we think it was Frank? In the 1940's this person sold the water rights to 'Utah Power and Light. And then BLM took over the land. This is where it takes a turn. Not sure what happened but it wasn't a good thing. *In my opinion, probably a little step family issue that left some bitter feelings and divided the family. My Grandfather (Glen Wiford) with his wife Mayme Jones Baker moved to American Fork, Utah where he started a GE appliance store. They had 2 children, my Dad- Glen Robert and David Baker. He was known in American Fork as a HONEST, HARD WORKING Man. They bought a home in American Fork that was historical being a SCHOOL HOUSE. People thought they were crazy. They remodeled it and it became a BEAUTIFUL HOME. Still Beautiful today.
Now the exciting part... Today I received an inbox from f/b from my Brother Blair. One of our second cousins (we never knew) is searching for any info on our history, therefore found my brothers and I. WOW!
Today I've been on cloud 9! I've always had the itch to search for our ancestors and haven't had much success. I do have quite a bit of genealogy from my mother who researched the Baker side. Not too much history. But to get to know 'living' ancestors is a bonus prize!
So thankful today. That the wife of our cousin once removed put the desire for more knowledge about our ancestors in her husbands heart. For starting a fire in all of us! For my Brothers love for his ancestors that loved what he loves, ranching etc. and learned their story. He searched out the ranch. Found evidence of the ol' corral. History lives :) From here on to forever we can learn more about where our family. is. (and they are now my f/b friends! LOL because f/b reconnects a long line of family! Today I bet our Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers and Great Great Grandfathers are smiling! And finally life comes back full circle. For this I am thankful!

No comments: