Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Thankful Tuesday: For Peaches, mmmmmm

1 box down/12 quarts--1 to go... HOW DID I EVER DO HUNDREDS OF QUARTS????
Why am I thankful for Peaches?
Once again, BECAUSE I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!
And....
It makes me think of my Mom and Dad.
This was my life growing up.
Productivity
Mom and Dad grew everything possible.
My Mom was a canner
a canner? is a person who puts everything in bottles or
packages for the freezer.
My Dad was an exceptional GARDENER
This was life on the Baker Acre.
For the coming year.
We are talking HUNDREDS of Bottled Peaches
Tomatoes, Apricots, Cherries, Jam, Green Beans, Beets
Even Turkey etc.
It became a neighborhood activity.
During the harvest season you would find the whole
neighborhood.
In a circle around our back lawn
Husking Corn, Podding Peas, or Snapping Beans.
Hard Work
GOOD TIMES!
When I was married
the tradition continued.
When we transferred out of Utah,
and our children were raised.
I gave all my bottles away.
So today,
I am searching for a few bottles to can
my two boxes of peaches!
Not that its cheaper,
If you don't grow your own
its too expensive to can.
This is in memory...
of the
GOOD OL' DAYS
With Mom and Dad always
supplying our little family
with a years supply of
DELICIOUS FOOD From the GARDEN!
Thank you Mom and Dad
for your hard work in supplying
yummy food for our table.
Also, for teaching me to
Preserve food.
It has been Godsend for our family
XO

1 comment:

The Sanderson Fam said...

Wow, those peaches look yummy! I got my first taste of canning this past week. I made some apricot jam. Boy there's a lot of prep that goes into canning! I had no idea.