Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TIMELESS TUESDAY:

My Mom
This bedspread is 28 years old. It's needs blocking(which is starching) I took it out to show you all what I mean by -- a lot of work. My treasure from my mom.
Elyse has a crochet bedspread too!
Timeless Tuesday's are now going to be my posts on people that have impacted my life. So here it goes. MY MOM: SHE WAS A QUILTER: Until the last maybe 5 years of her life she never tied a quilt. It had to be quilted. My most treasured quilts are her Satin Quilts including the Salt Lake Temple quilt that she made us. I grew up playing under the frames while she quilted. The boys still have their matching blue bedspread quilts and I think Terrence refuses to sleep with anything else and it drives his wife crazy--simply because its almost in shreds! SHE LOVED TO CROCHET: Not just a few doilies, She made a zillion bedspreads and table clothes and liked to keep a journal on the hours she put in on them. They would consume over a thousand hours each. --Including the Altar clothes at the Mt. Timp Temple. SHE LOVED TO COOK: My fondest memory is when she would make a batch of every kind of cookie and spread them out all over, down our long table. Then we would take a plate to all the neighbors, and fill the freezer. Frozen cookies were great! This wasn't just for a holiday it was sporadic all year long. SHE LOVED TO SERVE OTHERS: She was one of those people that always new when someone was in need. I can't even tell you how many meals she was always taking in. She was always visiting someone. She sat beside many people who suffered from cancer. So when she found out she had cancer she knew exactly what she was going to do and not do to get through it. That was the hard part. SHE LOVED TO WORK ALONG SIDE MY DAD: We had a big garden and one year chickens. She was right out there chopping off the chickens heads with an ax and chopped off a bit of her thumb! She hollered and Kaye Hall (our neighbor) came running picked up the thumb packed it in ice and we rushed to the hospital where they sewed it back on and it took! SHE WAS ONE WHO LOVED TO BE PREPARED: Food Storage was always something she had. SHE COULD DO IT ALL! One thing about my MOM is she could do it all,be everywhere, do everything. She would work her 8-5 shift come home have dinner on the table consistently at the same time. Do her church callings, make 15 quilts and still have time to read. SHE LOVED TO STUDY THE SCRIPTURES: She was one of those people that could answer all of your questions about the Bible and book of Mormon SHE LOVED MY DAD One thing that I remember is that her goal when she didn't work was to always get dressed up each night when my Dad would come home from work. Make-up, hair done and a dress! Clark sometimes teases me if I look especially shabby when he comes home. He throws the "YOUR MOM WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" phrase at me. I love it! Her final years were spent working for LDS Social services. She LOVED the adoption part of it. She took in many babies waiting for parents and pretty much adopted the families for her own. SHE WAS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF ENDURING FAITH. COURAGE, AND LOVE FOR OTHERS She died from Ovarian Cancer in 1998 at age 64 two months before her retirement. THANKS for the great years Mom. We were lucky to have you as long as we did. You were my very best friend. When I grow up I want to be just like you! I miss you!

5 comments:

Ess said...

What a sweet post. I can see some of these qualities in YOU!! I think I am going to enjoy these ones so keep 'em coming!

Terrence and Laura said...

Terrence definately does love his quilts from his Grandma. They are now the getting cozy on the couch quilts:) I bet she's happy they get good use!

Britt's Clan said...

That is the sweetest post! You do have many of your moms qualities expecially your love for Jark. I am excited to read more...

Jill Walker said...

How beautiful is that bedspread?! How lucky you are to have such a treasure. I can see you in your mom! No wonder you are so sweet, look how great your mom was!

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of quits from your mom to that I Cherish. Uncle Jim