Tuesday, February 3, 2009

TIMELESS TUESDAY: My Grandfather

Here is the Beginning of My Grandfathers history. This is one of my most favorite stories of my Grandfather. Grandpa was born Oct. 30th 1900 in a log cabin on the Braiden Cattle Ranch is LaJara, Conejos, Colorado. His mother told him that a blizzard was in progress and his Father had to bring the Midwife and Doctor from town. At the high elevation winter comes early and such was the case at his birth. His Father led the Doctor through the blizzard to their home and the Doctor told his Mother that it would be impossible for Grandfather to survive being delivered 2 1/2 months early. With three children who had died in infancy already, his mother was full of determination to prove him wrong. With prayer and determination, His mother went to work to save him. She made an incubator out of a shoe box lined with cotton and set him on the oven door of a small wood burning stove. She gave him drops of raw whiskey every half and hour and after three weeks of this treatment Doctor Hamilton told his Mother he might live. This was a triumph for his Mother because he weighed in at Two and a half pounds. His mother was aware of his frailties, that winter, she kept him swathed in woolens head to toe and anointed with camphorated oil, a sack of assafidity around his neck and whiskey and rock candy for cough syrup. He grew strong. Exerps taken from Book "Something New and Endearing" By my Uncle James H. Pike

2 comments:

Britt's Clan said...

What a cool story!! WOW!! I am so impressed... I am lucky I didn't live back then I wouldn't know how to do that...

Ess said...

Thanks for sharing...It is fun to read about your ancestors.