Friday, January 29, 2010

Flash Back Friday Too: The Piano

This is Me and My Mom. Just the beginning of a tradition with a PIANO. Not only did all of us listen to her play but we also gathered around the PIANO and Sang. The story of this particular piano was that they decided to make a "MUSIC ROOM" and in order for the Piano to fit in the music room. Dad had to cut a hole in the wall to make a new door because they couldn't get it around the corner to fit. Years later Mom sold the piano and then bought a new Piano. ** Note the spinning wheel next to this piano was made by my Grandfather Pike.
Then Mom and Dad purchased this piano. The story is when my mother had cancer her request was that this piano be given to my Brother Kent. After Mom passed away my brother Kent was persistent that it wasn't going to his house. He made a zillion excuses. One being that he worked grave yard and he wasn't going to get woke up by his girls practicing. I'm sure it would have been a treasure to his daughters too. But he insisted that I get it. I knew my Mother wouldn't be happy and I didn't want to disobey her wishes. It wasn't up to me. Kent made sure it went home with me.
So when I got this piano it became very important to me to use it in a way that my Mom wouldn't be disappointed that I ended up with the piano. So I started lessons with Clark's Aunt Arlene. She also taught my children and it was apparent that my son Terrence had a natural ability. So between Elyse learning and Terrence Learning it already was a blessing to our family.
Now as time goes on I know that my Mom would be OK with me having it. Number 2 reason, while living in Louisiana, Laura my Daughter in Law was able to practice on it. #3 While there, the Sister Missionaries would stop by and practice songs that they sang in Church. Also, #4 - not that I could play all that well by any means but I had the calling of playing piano for the primary children.
Then when we moved to Kansas. #5-The Sister Missionary that lived with us (Sister Albaugh) got permission to take piano lessons from another Sister in our Branch. #6- Seminary (Bible Study) was also held in my home so even the seminary students had the opportunity to play. #7-Now We have the Elders and they love practicing hymns too.
I often think now, Mom would be thrilled that so many have had the opportunity to play her piano. I think she might be OK with it now.
In time, I will pass the piano down to my daughter and there is more history in the making. I know she will treasure Mom's piano like I treasure it.

2 comments:

Terrence and Laura said...

It is such a treasure! Now that I'm back at playing the piano for primary it's challenging trying to play on a real piano again. I forget how different they are from my keyboard. Love that picture too! PRICELESS!

The Sanderson Fam said...

what a beautiful story! I can't wait until I have a piano in my house again...