Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TIMELESS TUESDAY: The Garden Mode

My Dad and his "BAKERS ACRE"
I love spring. I get in the garden mode. Clark and I didn't do very well planning our yard (the builder offered us a good deal he'd include sod and sprinkling system) Our regret is that we didn't think out planting trees and leaving a spot before it was all put in. So we are still trying to decide where to plot our little garden around the sprinkling system. Last year we tried just planting a few things in pots. It didn't work out. Sister Albaugh and I watered the plants to death! So this year, we've got to get us a special place. While in Utah, Paul's family had already tilled and prepared their garden spot and had Onions growing to about 4" and were planting peas and chard. If you know Angela (Paul's wife) she is AMAZINGLY AMBITIOUS! What talent she has! She inspires me! Growing up, my father would have his garden growing also. He retired at 52 so he devoted his days to his Garden. He decided one fall to dig up all the tulip bulbs in his flower beds and so he planted ROWS of tulips on his little acre of garden. It was so fun to go to his house every spring and see his garden blooming with tulips, Peas popping through the ground and the Orchard all in Blossom. I think I still get that little excitement in my stomach every spring because of the life I grew up with loving SPRING! I'll post pictures of the garden spot progress later!

2 comments:

RikoSuave said...

Thanks-- I needed that. Your gratitude helps me!
(Heather)

Jill Walker said...

We didn't have any where for a garden when we moved into this house either. We built grow boxes around and by our sprinkling system so that the sprinklers water the garden. It has worked out really well. I like the garden being up higher too, it helps with the weeding and stuff, I don't have to bend down as far.