Friday, December 3, 2010

#1 Treasured Memories of Christmas- The Coat and Dress (re-post)


. A single Mom came to church every Sunday with her two children. For five years she wore the same dress and had a thin worn out coat. One year for Christmas My Mother decided to take her Christmas Bonus ($70) and buy this lady a special gift. So we set out to JCPenney's then on main in Provo and purchased a dress and a beautiful fake fur coat. I felt pretty important when I helped pick it out and then anticipated carrying out the beautifully wrapped gifts.
Little did I know it was the beginning of a BIG LIFE LESSON ON PRAYER!!!! As I carried out the gifts to the car I placed the packages on the roof of the car. Then got in and Mom drove off. After getting on the freeway to head back to American Fork I looked in the back seat to see the gifts only to realize I LEFT THEM ON THE ROOF of the CAR.......
We turned around returned to our parking place only to find the packages GONE. The store was closed so we went back to the car and my Mother and I prayed that whoever found the packages would find it in their heart to somehow return them? (the pkgs had a jcp sticker on the bow)
On Monday morning, Mom called JCPenney's and asked if anyone had returned the packages. Customer Service said that YES someone had returned the packages and if she could identify what was in them we could get them back. That was the miracle of an answered prayer at just the age of 10,
The fun part then was when Mom had one of her co-workers take the package to the single mothers home. He knocked on the door, when the mother answered he said, "These gifts are for you" she said "I cannot take them. I don't know you." He said "lady, I don't know you either but these gifts are for you."
It remained a secret as far as I know. I will never forget seeing that mother come into church on Sunday with a new dress and a new coat for years after that.
That began a new love for the gift of giving.
This Christmas I am going to start my what was "Thankful post" with "Treasured Memories of Christmas" of Christmas's passed *inspired by my new friend (Marianne)

2 comments:

Marianne said...

That was a beautiful story! You are a great writer! Thank you for the credit for the inspiration!

Lynnelise said...

I LOVE stories like that! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your post on my blog. I was trying to contact you back but for some reason it won't let me - something about a privacy setting? It seems like some new fangled thing blogspot came up with recently!

Thank you for your friendship and concern. I pray your family is doing well!

~Lynnelise
<><